From: Norberto Bensa <nbensa@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] virtualbox networking
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2008 23:23:01
1 Quoting Marc Joliet <marcec@×××.de>:
2
3 > Right now I got it working without using a bridge. I can ping my
4 > Windows XP VM and it can ping everything else on my side, however,
5 > nmap won't work. I wonder why? Does the Windows firewall block it off?
8 nmap runs on the guest?
11 >> After all this, create a small bash script in /usr/bin. I called
12 > I would think such a script belongs in /usr/local/bin?
13
14 Errr.. Yup. But I don't know why VB doesn't get my $PATH.
17 >> The interface is create and destroyed on demand.
18 >
19 > I would do that (create a bridge without any IFs attached and
20 > then have them added dynamically), except the VBoxAddIF script in
21 > virtualbox-ose-2.0.2 craps out on a missing file
22 > (/var/run/VirtualBox/vboxnet). Google didn't yield anything useful.
23 >
24 >> marcec@marcec ~ % sudo VBoxAddIF vbox0 marcec br0
25 >> VirtualBox host networking interface creation utility, version _VERSION_
26 >> (C) 2005-2007 Sun Microsystems, Inc.
27 >> All rights reserved.
28 >>
29 >> Creating the permanent host networking interface "vbox0" for user marcec.
30 >>
31 >> Failed to add the interface "vbox0" to the bridge "br0".
32
33 And where's your br0 in /etc/conf.d/net? I can't find it.
36 > When looking at the relevent line (237), apparently it's because the
37 > directory doesn't exist so it can't create the file. What does it look
38 > like on your system? Shouldn't the ebuild have created that directory?
39
40 I have no /var/run/VirtualBox... but I use virtualbox-bin-2.0.2.
41
42 Regards,
43 Norberto
44
46 This message was sent using IMP, the Internet Messaging Program.