From: "Timothy A. Holmes" <tholmes@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] New USE Flags, Emerge -e world --> Broken systems -- PLEASE HELP
Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 11:57:53
1 Hi folks - I have a major problem brewing here im afraid:
2
3 I have several systems that I had originally built with the Gentoo
4 installer disk -- As such they have a very large group of use flags, and
5 a fairly large genkernel. In wanting to lean them out and optimize them
6 for running, went in, rebuilt the kernel, and apparently with a bad
7 understanding of how portage and the USE flags interact, removed all the
8 use flags, changed them to:
9
10 USE="-*"
11
12 and ran emerge -e world. The processes have all failed, and now I have
13 broken systems -- for example, eterm wont start at all, nor will it
14 build on a re-install, firefox is messed up (the fonts look funny) and
15 im starting to panic. Is there any way short of rebuilding these
16 systems to get things working right again?
17
18 Thanks
19
20 TIM
23 Timothy A. Holmes
24 IT Manager / Network Admin / Web Master / Computer Teacher
25
26 Medina Christian Academy
27 A Higher Standard...
28