From: Patric <bzk0711@×××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [Way OT] dial-up, switching isp's and other thoughts.
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2008 11:26:48
1 On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 19:51:21 -0500
2 Dale <dalek1967@×××××××××.net> wrote:
3
4 Hi Dale,
5
6 > After getting things switched over, I hope this will make things
7 > easier in the future if I need to switch ISPs or something. My
8 > questions are: 1: Does anyone know of a reasonably priced dial-up ISP
9 > that does not have a monthly limit? Does anyone see anything
10 > wrong/weird with my plan? Maybe something I need to add in?
11
12 I tried both AOL and GMail and both annoy me to some extend. They both
13 provide free IMAP access, and work "fairly well". I always felt the AOL
14 servers to be pretty slow (when using imap), and i hate the way
15 googlemail saves your E-Mail thrice in it's own, duplicate folder
16 structure (which doubles or triples the size of your local imap cache).
17 This might be reasonable for people accessing the service only through
18 their webinterface, but is annoying when using an external client.
19
20 The thing that most irritated me after a while are the free provider's
21 privacy terms. Google may archive and index *all* your mail (read:
22 SPAM, everything) for eternity. AIM (as well as google) claims all
23 content to be submitted via their services as their intellectual
24 property (this counts for ICQ also, btw, use jabber!). This is
25 laughable from a juristic point of view, but i find the attempt in
26 itself reason enough not to use their services. There was this funny
27 article linked on slashdot last week
28 (http://valleywag.com/5044902/the-5-most-laughable-terms-of-service-on-the-net).
29
30 I don't know about Yahoo! specifically in this respect, but I don't
31 expect them to be any better.
32
33 After some search i stumbled upon the relatively new freemail provider
34 Lavabit (http://lavabit.com). Their service is very promising, privacy
35 is most important. Connections to their server exclusively use
36 authenticated SMTP and they offer pop3 and imap over SSL. There are
37 free, free with ads, and two paid ($6 or $18 p. year) service models,
38 each with their own limits. Most important for me was their free IMAP
39 support. You might want to check out their page wether it suits you.
40
41 I am very content with their service, even if you don't get an
42 unlimited storage space at their servers. Google does this because
43 they can afford it (wasting our precious resources) and in turn mines
44 all that data for personalized ads, search, and whatnot.
45
46 Regards,
47 Patric