From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT: PCI SAS CARDS
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2020 09:01:58
1 On 22 July 2020 10:43:39 CEST, "Gerrit Kühn" <gerrit.kuehn@×××××××.de> wrote:
2 >Am Wed, 22 Jul 2020 10:13:22 +0200 (CEST)
3 >schrieb mad.scientist.at.large@××××××××.com:
4 >
5 >> Are there any SAS drive controller cards that go in a PCI slot (Not
6 >PCI
7 >> express).  I suspect it's a silly question but I'd like to find one.
8 >
9 >I don't know any. But if you're /that/ desperate: there are adapters
10 >that
11 >connect low-profile PCIe cards to PCI slots. The following is just an
12 >example, there are certainly lots of manufacturers building stuff like
13 >that:
14 >https://www.startech.com/Cards-Adapters/Slot-Extension/PCI-to-PCI-Express-Adapter-Card~PCI1PEX1
15 >
16 >Don't know if something like that would help you, though.
19 >cu
20 > Gerrit
21
22 I doubt you'll get much bandwidth through that, even if you do get it to work with a SAS card.
23
24 I wouldn't bother with SAS drives if it meant working with these limitations.
25
26 Current SAS3 supports 12Gbps per port (mine have 4 ports each). PCI slots don't support anywhere near that bandwidth.
27
28 I would recommend upgrading to a more recent mainboard or just using SATA.
31 Joost
32 --
33 Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.