From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} hire a programmer or company?
Date: Tue, 29 May 2012 08:37:43
1 >> >> I'll be getting my feet wet with this shortly.  Any other tips
2 >> >> regarding the management of one or more programmers working on
3 >> >> various small web projects?  Maybe workflow or any key procedures
4 >> >> a newbie manager should follow?
5 >> >
6 >> > You can get away with almost anything except these two things:
7 >> >
8 >> > Do not micro-manage
9 >> > Do not tell them how to do what they do
10 >>
11 >> Could you give me an example of this last one?
12 >
13 > - I see you are using Perl with hashrefs to do function xyz. Have you
14 > considered (i.e. I would like you to) using $INSERT_SOMETHING_HERE?
15 >
16 > - Fiddling with the roadmap. Somehow, this always ends up like the
17 > homeowner overriding the architect and trying to get the roof up
18 > before the walls.
19 >
20 > - Giving "advice" on the process such as saying how awesome a concept
21 > stakeholders and product owners are in Scrum. But they use
22 > ExtremeProgramming.
23 >
24 > - Wanting to personally review the code often. I've seen some managers
25 >  want to do this daily.
26 >
27 > - Get personally involved on their level.
30 > All these things class as interference. Managers and owners who do this
31 > have miles of justifiable reasons for doing so, but it's always hogwash
32 > - they interfere, plain and simple.
33
34 This is really interesting to me. Is there a forum/website/book with
35 more gritty, practical advice like this on managing programmers?
36 These are the kinds of mistakes I will definitely make if someone
37 doesn't tell me not to.
38
39 Could you tell me really briefly what a manager *should* do?
40
41 I think I'll try to manage a single programmer working few hours and
42 see how it goes. My asking stupid questions is due to my lack of
43 experience and there's only one way to fix that.
44
45 - Grant