From: Xav' <xp@××××××××.fr>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] root on raid 1 = no boot
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 14:50:35
1 On Thu, 28 Aug 2008 16:41:42 +0200, Volker Armin Hemmann
2 <volker.armin.hemmann@××××××××××××.de> wrote:
3 > Hi,
4 >
5 > I have tried to setup a software Raid1 for root (/), boot, home and var.
6 >
7 > So far, so good. Support is in kernel. The four ones are assembled:
8 > Personalities : [raid1]
9 > md3 : active raid1 sda6[0] sdb6[1]
10 > 421906944 blocks [2/2] [UU]
11 >
12 > md2 : active raid1 sda5[0] sdb5[1]
13 > 19534912 blocks [2/2] [UU]
14 >
15 > md1 : active raid1 sda3[0] sdb3[1]
16 > 39061952 blocks [2/2] [UU]
17 >
18 > md0 : active raid1 sda1[0] sdb1[1]
19 > 64128 blocks [2/2] [UU]
20 >
21 > looks good.
22 >
23 > and in grub.conf I have this:
24 > title=raid
25 > root (hd0,0)
26 > kernel /vmlinuz root=/dev/md1 md=1,/dev/sda3,/dev/sdb3 nopat
27 >
28 > I also created md1,2,3, in /dev.
29 >
30 > But on every single boot I get a kernel panic because rootfs is not
31 found.
32 > Has
33 > anybody an idea why and what is going wrong?
34
35 You have to know that the kernel isn't able to assemble RAID devices
36 together without the use of mdadm. So you have to use an initrd with the
37 mdadm binary to use a RAID root ! If you are using genkernel, add --mdraid
38 to your kernel compilation command line. Once you have an initrd with the
39 mdadm binary and appropriate script to assemble RAID arrays, you'll be able
40 to boot from your root RAID array ;)
41
42 HTH.
45 Xavier