From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] encrypting emails on more than one email account with same keys
Date: Thu, 23 May 2019 19:11:46
1 Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Thu, May 23, 2019 at 12:49 PM Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> On Thursday, 23 May 2019 16:40:23 BST Dale wrote:
4 >>> Howdy,
5 >>>
6 >>> I'm trying to get some legal work done. I'm trying to do this over
7 >>> email with a lawyer. For obvious reasons, I want to do this encrypted
8 >>> but suspect they are not set up for this.
9 >> Have you asked them? If they have some setup they use to ensure client
10 >> confidentiality and data privacy, you'd be much better off to jump onto their
11 >> system, rather than trying to negotiate the configuration of PGP and S/MIME
12 >> with legal staff who may have zero technical capability and poor/uncooperative
13 >> IT support.
14 > ++
15 >
16 > >From what I've seen these sorts of systems are usually just security
17 > theater, such as emailing you a link to go to an SSL website to view
18 > the "secure" message, never mind that somebody else could do the same
19 > thing if they intercepted your email. But, it probably satisfies some
20 > box-checker because the actual message is transmitted over SSL.
21 >
22 > I think this is probably the best you're going to do if you're not
23 > communicating with people who get crypto, which is just about
24 > everybody.
25 >
26 > Otherwise the rest of the email already covered some of the details.
27 > You can just add multiple identities to a single GPG key or x509
28 > certificate, but if they aren't already using PKI/etc that seems like
29 > a huge uphill battle.
30 >
31 > I think a corporate environment is much more likely to be using
32 > S/MIME/etc than GPG. When I've seen these there is usually a central
33 > CA that has some way to systematically assign certificates to
34 > employees. Often this is only done on request.
35 >
36 > Law firms are also notoriously bad at IT from what I've seen. I know
37 > a lawyer or two and many of these firms just let every partner do
38 > things their own way, and their individual staff follow the partner's
39 > lead. They're as bad as doctors, especially since the whole EMR thing
40 > hasn't hit lawyers in the same way.
44 Well, I got a reply.  They are not set up for encryption and don't seem
45 to be interested in it either. There is only two of them, that I know
46 of.  It's a small town lawyer but I like the guy.  Rare for me to like a
47 lawyer.  lol  What I was hoping is to have two email address, one for
48 each, but a single password.  I couldn't find anything that showed that
49 as doable so I thought I'd ask, out of curiosity if nothing else.
50
51 I have to deal with a State entity for some communications and they do
52 that send a link thing to go to a Cisco site to get/send emails.  I
53 guess it is somewhat better than just plain open email but as you point
54 out, if they have the email with the link, they do the same as the
55 intended recipient and get the encrypted email too.
56
57 They are building a new cell phone tower but have not turned it on yet.
58 They working on it tho.  I'm hoping I'm not so close that I can't get a
59 signal from it, umbrella effect I think it is called.  Anyway, the best
60 way to get me is email.  Most of the time my cell has no signal.  For
61 that reason, I wish Lawyers, Doctors and some others would use some sort
62 of secure messaging system so that I can do things without being snooped
63 on.  Sadly, other than the State entity mentioned above, no one else
64 does this.  To be honest, the only reason I set up encryption is that I
65 have one friend who wants to do it that way and won't send emails unless
66 they are.  It doesn't matter what is in it either.  Since I have it tho,
67 I wish more would use it.  There are times when I need to do things or
68 even send attachments that I wouldn't want everyone seeing.  I'm not
69 sure why people who deal with sensitive info won't get some secure way
70 of emailing.  It's weird to me.
71
72 At least I have my answer and learned a few other things as well.
73
74 Thanks to all.
75
76 Dale