From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: OT: new system hardware
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2012 02:51:17
1 Grant Edwards wrote:
2 > On 2012-11-11, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >
4 >>>> I'm not saying that every single transformer out there has mineral
5 >>>> oil in it but according to that, it is still in common use. Also,
6 >>>> according to that it also does the job of removing the heat from the
7 >>>> transformer too. If you want, watch this video. You can see how
8 >>>> they are made from start to finish, including the mineral oil fill
9 >>>> up.
10 >>>>
11 >>>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUO3o5JTGhQ
12 >>>> and the oil is very toxic and as I wrote earlier mineral oil is
13 >>>> replaced with other coolants. For some very good reasons. ...
14 >> Again, I use mineral oil every day. How can it be toxic when I put
15 >> it on my skin?
16 > "Mineral Oil" is a vague term and is used to refer to a wide range of
17 > substances.
18 >
19 > For many years, the stuff they used in transformers was high in PCBs
20 > and was based on a type "mineral oil" different than what you're
21 > using.
22 >
23 >> I might add, my Doctor knows I put it on and he has never
24 >> mentioned it being toxic.
25 > The stuff you're using isn't toxic.
28 But it is still being used and according to the wiki, it is *highly
29 refined* mineral oil. While startpaging around, I found that they
30 refine it more and remove the bad stuff, PCB's and such, so that it
31 isn't toxic or anything. They changed that way back in the 70's or
32 80's. The posts from Volker imply that it is not used anymore but it
33 is. I posted a link that says it is and a video of how the transformers
34 are still being made today. Heck, I even found a company that currently
35 makes the transformer oil. If no one is using mineral oil like Volker
36 implies then why do they still make it?
37
38 Point is, they still use mineral oil in transformers and it serves two
39 functions. It removes heat and acts as a insulator. Both of those are
40 good things as opposed to water and a computer motherboard. Spill water
41 on a mobo, buy a new mobo. Spill mineral oil on a mobo, just clean up
42 the mess. Given the cost of a mobo, CPU, and anything else that could
43 be ruined, I'd prefer mineral oil over water. So, I'm still not putting
44 water in my puter.
45
46 Dale
47
51 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!