From: John Covici <covici@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: [gentoo-user] Re: [gentoo-user] boot hangs forever at “Loading initial ramdisk...”
Date: Fri, 14 May 2021 06:36:10
1 On Thu, 13 May 2021 21:58:25 -0400,
2 John Blinka wrote:
3 >
4 > [1 <text/plain; UTF-8 (quoted-printable)>]
5 > On Thu, May 13, 2021 at 9:12 PM Jack <ostroffjh@×××××××××××××××××.net>
6 > wrote:
7 >
8 > > Given you say the UUID is for the boot partition, then both the linux and
9 > > initrd should just have the name of the kernel and initrd files (without
10 > > leading "/boot",) which sounds like what you've got. I'd next wonder if
11 > > something is missing from the kernel/initrd combination, such as a kernel
12 > > module necessary for some early part of the boot process or a file system
13 > > (per Dale's suggestion.) Assuming that you ran genkernel after booting a
14 > > live image and chrooting into the new system, then we know the hardware can
15 > > boot a good kernel/image combo. Mainly I'm just thinking out loud here,
16 > > trying to coax someone's little gray cells into action.
17 > >
18 > In my early linux days, I thought it would be clever to include kernel
19 > support for my root filesystem in a module. Whose code resided on the root
20 > filesystem... That didn¢t work, of course, but at least the kernel started
21 > to boot and threw out an error message. Here, I just get complete
22 > silence. So, I doubt that file system support is an issue.
23 >
24 > John
25
26 I would look in the grub.cfg and give us exactly what is in the stanza
27 you are using, including where it thinks the root file system is,
28 etc. Also, see if there is any genkernel option to get some debugging
29 info out of the initrd, I know using dracut you can get breakpoints
30 during the process and see how its doing.
33 Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
34 How do
35 you spend it?
36
37 John Covici wb2una