From: wabenbau@×××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] eselect OpenCL is wrong.
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 2016 18:53:30
1 Alan Grimes <ALONZOTG@×××××××.net> wrote:
2
3 > Wrong, I say, WROOOOONG!!!!!
4
5 No reason to go into hysterics. Think of your blood pressure! ;-)
6
7 > OpenCl is not OpenGL. It is more of a framework than an API. A high
8 > end machine may have a number of different OpenCL hosts, the cpu,
9 > vector cores built into the cpu as in the AMD APU line and intel's
10 > lame knockoff thereof. =P
11 >
12 > There is also OpenCL support in GPUs, Xeon Phi, FPGA and potentially
13 > other devices too.
14 >
15 > The game Planet Explorers (available on Steam) demonstrates how this
16 > should be used. You are given a menu at the start of the game that
17 > lists the available OpenCL implementations. You then select whatever
18 > device you want to use for OpenCL that day...
19 >
20 > So there should not be eselect OpenCL, All gentoo needs to do is
21 > enforce standards on where the relevant libraries are stored and the
22 > application will select which one to use.
23
24 You should better report this to the developers of the respective
25 applications. I'm not an expert on this, but I think this is nothing
26 that the gentoo developers can do.
27
28 And I think it's better to have "eselect OpenCL" than nothing.
31 Regards
32 wabe