From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] "Illegal instruction" error
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2010 21:02:47
1 On Mon, Oct 11, 2010 at 1:39 PM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Uh-oh.
3 >
4 > genlop started failing today with the mysterious error "Illegal instruction",
5 > and it's consistent - every time. That's all the message, nothing else:
6 >
7 > $ genlop -t portage
8 > Illegal instruction
9 >
10 > Now emerge dbus-glib fails similarly:
11 >
12 > /bin/sh: line 21:  1084 Illegal instruction     /usr/bin/gtkdoc-rebase --
13 > relative --dest-dir=/var/tmp/portage/dev-libs/dbus-glib-0.88/image/ --html-
14 > dir=${installdir}
17 > I don't really know where to start looking.....
18 > I just know Google is going to give me millions of useless hits with that
19 > search, but I'll hope over to b.g.o. meanwhile and poke around unless someone
20 > else has a better idea.
21
22 Alan,
23 Consider (if possible - is this a desktop or some in service
24 server?) powering down your machine, reseating your memory DIMMs,
25 powering back up and if possible running memtest86 (assuming it's an
26 x86 machine) and then seeing if the error goes away.
27
28 I've run into this a couple of times when memory problems have appeared.
29
30 Good luck and best wishes,
31 Mark