From: Albert Hopkins <marduk@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Python 2.7 support
Date: Mon, 07 Dec 2009 12:35:02
1 On Mon, 2009-12-07 at 10:28 +0100, Xavier Parizet wrote:
2 > Hi list,
3 >
4 > I eard [sic] some (long) time ago that portage is not compatible with python 2.7, so i
5 > masked it (python) in /etc/portage/package.mask. What i would like to know now
6 > is is portage now compatible with this version of python ? Or if not, where can
7 > i follow the status of this compatibility ? I looked on b.g.o but didn't find
8 > anything related to this.
9
10 There is no python 2.7 (well, 2.7 alpha 1 was released a few days ago).
11
12 What you "heard", actually what portage tells you is this.
13
14 * Most programs do not work with Python 3.x yet
15 * You should not "eselect python set 3.x" (i.e. set your system
16 python to 3.x)
17 * You should definitely *not* unmerge python 2.x
18 * It's perfectly fine to have 2.x and 3.x installed at the same
19 time (they are in different slots) so long as your system python
20 remains 2.x
21
22 In addition, portage (at least the 2.2-rc series) has a python3 USE
23 flag, which means portage *is* designed to work with Python 3.x. It's
24 still in development, but I've been using it for a while. Once in a
25 while I've run into a bug, reported it and it got fixed. I haven't had
26 any issues with it in a while though.
27
28 You probably didn't find anything at b.g.o because it's not a bug. It's
29 a feature ;-) (and also because you got your information wrong). So
30 there's no reason to mask python3 (unless you want to). If it were
31 buggy the Gentoo devs would have masked it for you ;-)
34 -a