From: Kris Kerwin <kkerwin@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Questions about TightVNC
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 16:58:47
1 Hi all,
2
3 I'm using TightVNC v 1.2.9-r1 from the Gentoo Portage tree. I have two
4 questions about running it.
5
6 1) I would like my local machine to share the same display as is
7 exported to remote machines via VNC.
8
9 The easiest way to do this would simply be to run a VNC server on the
10 local machine and then connect to it using a VNC client on the local
11 machine, the same as if I were connecting from a remote machine.
12 However, I'm concerned that there will be both speed and image
13 quality losses. Also, I can't seem to get kdm to run inside VNC by
14 adding it to root's ~/.vnc/xstartup file.
15
16 What sorts of strategies do you have to make this happen? Is there any
17 way to have VNC export a display that is already being served by an X
18 server? Or, is there any way that an X Client can connect to an X
19 server that is the slave of a VNC process?
20
21 2) I'm noticing some problems with resolution on the client-side. I
22 simply can't fit the entire desktop onto the screen. Playing with the
23 -geometry option fixes this problem, but leaves me with massive
24 windows that don't fit on the screen. Any ideas here?
25
26 Thanks,
27 Kris Kerwin
28 --