From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} Incorporating openvpn in backup scheme
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2013 07:56:50
1 On Wed, June 26, 2013 09:54, Grant wrote:
2 >>> I have several remote systems all pushing backups to my local laptop
3 >>> via rdiff-backup. Sometimes when on the road I find myself behind a
4 >>> router and the remote systems are unable to push. Is openvpn the
5 >>> right solution here? Should I run a separate openvpn server on each
6 >>> system to be backed up with my laptop as the client?
7 >>
8 >> If you can configure the router to forward the port used by the OpenVPN
9 >> server to your laptop, you can run the server on your laptop.
10 >
11 > I can't rely on being able to configure the router unfortunately, but
12 > I have to admit admin/admin does work a lot of the time.
13 >
14 >> But, as is more likely, when you can not configure the router, running
15 >> an
16 >> OpenVPN server on (at least one) remote system and having your laptop
17 >> connect to that, you can have the other systems push to your laptop over
18 >> the VPN-link.
19 >> Either directly (by establishing multiple VPN-links from your laptop
20 >> (one
21 >> to each server) or via one of the remote systems.
22 >
23 > So I'm sure I understand, I should run the openvpn server on one of my
24 > remote systems and connect to that with each of the other remote
25 > systems and the laptop. Then I can back up from any of the remote
26 > systems to the laptop and all the laptop needs to be able to do is
27 > make an outbound connection to the openvpn server?
30 1) OpenVPN on every remote system and have laptop connect to all remote
31 systems for the backup
32
33 2) OpenVPN on 1 remote system (configured as router for the VPN-links)
34 - laptop and other remote systems connect to this remote system
35 - backup are sent to laptop via this one remote system