From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] sendmail: warning: inet_protocols: disabling IPv6
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2013 23:33:30
1 On 25 June 2013, at 23:31, Walter Dnes wrote:
2 > … I have always done a --pretend update run and check the
3 > output, before doing the real update. And I've switched to beginning my
4 > USE variable with
5 >
6 > There is the option of setting USE="-ipv6" the more timid users. I
7 > don't understand the point of defaulting to IPV6.
8
9 On a Gentoo system one should *always* perform a --pretend update run and check the output, before doing the real update
10
11 I'm pretty sure replies have been made to you in the past about why USE="-*" is a Bad Idea™.
12
13 It's not "timid" to disable IPv6 support is by setting USE="-ipv6" - that's just the right way to do it.
14
15 Most people disabling IPv6 probably want to keep support for jpeg, png and *all* the other defaults.
16
17 I'm pretty sure that setting USE="-*" creates just as much work, on average, if not more.
18
19 You have just shifted the work from occasionally having to set -ipv6 (and similar) in your make.conf, to regularly having to add +mp3 +jpeg +vlc +minimal every time you emerge a new package.
20
21 Stroller.