From: Renat Golubchyk <ragermany@×××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Out of portage
Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2005 16:42:52
1 Hi!
2
3 On Tue, 8 Nov 2005 11:37:45 +0200 "Eray Aslan" <eray.aslan@×××××××.tr>
4 wrote:
5 > I am using portage for packet management. But there are a few
6 > programs (postfix for example) that I have emerged and now would like
7 > to manage myself. What is the best way to take a program out of
8 > portage without unmerging the program? Deleting the appropriate line
9 > from /var/lib/portage/world perhaps? Any side effects if I do that?
10
11 If postfix becomes a dependency of another package in the future it will
12 get updated by portage regardless of it being in the world-file. A
13 better way would be to install it by hand in /usr/local which is
14 reserved for user-managed programs. But you _will_ have to keep an eye
15 on all the required libraries. If they get updated by portage it could
16 break your local install of postfix unless you compile it statically.
17
18 Another option would be to mask every version of postfix except of
19 yours in package.mask. If you have to modify the ebuild copy it to your
20 portage overlay and install it from there.
21
22 Anyway, why do you want to manage those programs yourself?
23
24 Cheers,
25 Renat
29 Probleme kann man niemals mit derselben Denkweise loesen,
30 durch die sie entstanden sind.
31 (Einstein)