From: hasufell <hasufell@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Jitsi or Other Skype Alternative
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2013 15:58:48
1 On 08/23/2013 05:48 PM, Marc Stürmer wrote:
2 > Am 23.08.2013 12:50, schrieb the:
3 >> Does that mean that I should buy hardware to match software requirements?
4 >
5 > Do you really want to tell me that you are still working on a Pentium
6 > 133 with maybe 64 MB of RAM?
7 >
8 > I mean it has always been like that: people buy indeed hardware to match
9 > software requirements, e.g. to play better games or to watch Youtube
10 > videos in High Definition.
11 >
12 > Of course no one is going to force you to do so, so if you are happy
13 > with less power you need less, of course.
14 >
15 > The point for Skype, last time I am going to repeat that, is that it
16 > works out of the box for the normal user and the large user base.
17
18 And that is still wrong. If it works for you, fine. There are enough
19 users who have a LOT of trouble with it. Again: read the bugtrackers, I do.
20
21 And even better: you cannot file bug reports properly (at least from
22 what I see the skype jira is gone) and cannot read/fix code.
23
24 You are lured into believing it's a good piece of software that works
25 out of the box, because all they do is good advertisement and increasing
26 their userbase with some shiny features. Even worse: distro maintainers
27 have trouble with it, need to apply hacks or don't even include it at
28 all because of the nasty license. How does that improve "out-of-the-box"
29 experience?
30
31 Next you will tell us windows works out of the box.
32
33 I mean, wtf are you talking about? It doesn't make any sense. And
34 doesn't even add anything to this topic.