From: Michael Orlitzky <michael@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] You have no world file
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2011 15:57:16
1 On 04/20/2011 11:35 AM, Dan Cowsill wrote:
2 > Hi list,
3 >
4 > I've been having a strange issue every so often. I'll do a world update
5 > (emerge -uDNav, etc) and that will proceed nicely, installing new
6 > packages and suchlike. I'll then do a little bit of the old emerge -pcv
7 > to check for dangling packages and I will get the following:
8 >
9 > !!! You have no world file.
10 > !!! Proceeding is likely to break your installation.
11 >
12 > Portage will then politely inform me that it needs to remove 190
13 > packages and I thank FSM I added -p.
14 >
15 > So! Googling that little tidbit produced nothing meaningful. What's
16 > the story? Gremlins?
19 Basically. Do you have a world file (/var/lib/portage/world)? If not,
20 why not? Is /var or one of its subdirectories mounted separately? Hard
21 drive going bad? Do you see gremlins anywhere?
22
23 Permissions on /var/lib/portage should be drwxrws--- root:portage
24
25 /var/lib/portage/world should be -rw-r--r-- root:portage