From: Joshua Murphy <poisonbl@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Fragmentation of my drives. Curious mostly
Date: Mon, 01 Dec 2008 22:48:10
1 On Mon, Dec 1, 2008 at 5:19 PM, Daniel Iliev <daniel.iliev@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Yes. That has crossed my mind too, but I can't figure out if there's
3 > anything I alone can do about it. It would taint the results in a very bad
4 > way, because it is impossible to catch by increasing the number of
5 > repetitions. If my memory serves well its called "systematic error" in
6 > statistics.
7 >
8 > I'm open to suggestions.
11 > P.S.
12 >
13 > The way to eliminate the influence of this factor is to find
14 > many other people to make the test and share the results.
18 > --
19 > Best regards,
20 > Daniel
21
22 I'm tempted to donate my system for a short bit to try it.. but at
23 least in the case of my desktop... I pre-cache all my major software
24 at boot time, so I don't really want to dump caches there ;) ... maybe
25 it'll be a good use for my old amd64... but, umm... it'll need an OS
26 and even the slightest potential of fragmented files first... maybe
27 I'll make that happen tonight if I get bored.
28
29 As a side note, SSDs are the quickest way to remove all worries where
30 fragmentation is concerned, having negligible seek times as they do...
31 and physically smaller platters (2.5in SAS drives, the Velociraptor,
32 etc) at least make a small dent on worst case seek times... reducing
33 the impact that way.
36 Poison [BLX]
37 Joshua M. Murphy