From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How to tie module name to Kernel CONFIG
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2008 21:08:47
1 On Wednesday 10 December 2008 22:56:30 Harry Putnam wrote:
2 > Summary:
3 > How can I tie a module name (tg3) to a kernel config line?
4 >
5 > Details:
6 > Usually its kind of obvious if you dig around in .config a bit, but
7 > now always.
8 >
9 > I find the module at /lib/modules/2.6.24*/:
10 > ../kernel/drivers/net/tg3.ko
11 >
12 > But I haven't been able to nail that to a kernel config line.
13
14 Short answer: TIGON3
15
16 Long answer:
17
18 You need to study voodoo and sacrifice a virgin at full moon to be able to
19 find that out reliably. I can't, so I use google, which sometimes works :-)
20 I'm also sure someone somewhere must have made a cross-reference list, but I
21 haven't found it despite much search. Yes, this is what I would calle a major
22 shortcoming in the kernel code.
23
24 There's also the search function in menuconfig invoked with "/", which in this
25 case doesn't help at all as tg3 doesn't show up.
26
27 But help is at hand!
28 The .config option you are looking for is CONFIG_TIGON3
29 My last notebook had one of those and I searched for ages before spotting one
30 day that "t", "g" and "3" all appeared in "TIGON3".
31
32 Sorry that I couldn't help with the more general question, at least you got an
33 answer for the more specific case.
36 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com