From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Reinstall Gentoo? [Was: Building pygtk-2.22.0-r1 fails. Help, please!]
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2011 20:20:54
1 Hi, Nick.
2
3 On Mon, Apr 25, 2011 at 05:00:49PM +0100, Mick wrote:
4 > On Monday 25 April 2011 16:03:21 Alan Mackenzie wrote:
5
6 > > As a matter of interest, do you know how to configure a framebuffer
7 > > console to fill up a wide screen (say, to a width of 170 characters)
8 > > as contrasted with the 128 characters which were optimum on an old
9 > > fashioned CRT?
10
11 > I think that things have moved on since the first time you installed
12 > Gentoo. Latest kernels have the ability to load firmware for your
13 > video card that takes account of the native resolution of the monitor -
14 > without any additional framebuffer drivers (like vesa, uvesa, radeonfb,
15 > etc.) As a matter of fact you'll get a blank screen if you try to boot
16 > the latest kernels with KMS configured using any additional framebuffer
17 > driver.
18
19 Indeed. :-(
20
21 > To save me describing each step, you would do better reading through
22 > this page which details everything you need to do:
23
24 > http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/xorg-config.xml
25
26 A fascinating document. Thanks!