From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] smartmontools can 'kill' a certain sata disk:
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2010 10:01:28
1 On Tuesday 30 November 2010 10:53:21 Thanasis wrote:
2 > on 11/30/2010 11:17 AM J. Roeleveld wrote the following:
3 > > On Tuesday 30 November 2010 10:02:01 Thanasis wrote:
4 > >> on 11/29/2010 10:10 PM Volker Armin Hemmann wrote the following:
5 > >>> http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/smartmontools/wiki/SamsungF4EGBadBlock
6 > >>> s
7 > >>>
8 > >>> just because some of you might have missed it...
9 > >>
10 > >> Apart from Samsung F4 EcoGreen, it also refers to some other drives:
11 > >>
12 > >> SAMSUNG HD322GJ (F4)
13 > >> SAMSUNG HD103SJ (F3)
14 > >> SAMSUNG HD153WI (F3 EcoGreen)
15 > >> SAMSUNG HD642JJ (F1)
16 > >> SAMSUNG SP2504C (P120)
17 > >> WDC WD6400AAKS
18 > >> WDC WD10EADS
19 > >>
20 > >> Are these also affected?
21 > >
22 > > Considering the line right above that list is:
23 > > "* It could not be reproduced on the same AMD system and amdsata.sys
24 > > driver with the following other disks: "
25 > >
26 > > with the "not" in bold, I would assume that those drives are not affected
27 > > by this bug in the drives firmware.
28 > >
29 > > --
30 > > Joost Roeleveld
31 >
32 > Thanks. That's what I thought too, it's the other lines that followed,
33 > that puzzled me. O:-)
34
35 The following lines are seperate bullet-points, eg. seperate statements.
36
37 I write similar documents sometimes and this is a quick-and-dirty way to list
38 the results. That's probably why I could follow it easier.
39
40 I do agree, it could have been a bit clearer if that list would have been
41 indented to make it look more like part of the bullet-point where it appears
42 to be part of. (If this makes sense? :) )
43
44 I have the WDC-drive that is listed here and am quite happy that it is not
45 affected as I do use smartmontools extensively.
46 I'll have to check which Samsung drive I have to make sure I am not using one
47 for production use.
50 Joost Roeleveld