From: Anthony Metcalf <nevyn@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Yikes, replacing sata 200gb with Sata 750gb .. no bootsky.
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2009 15:25:59
1 Harry Putnam wrote:
2 > Setup:
3 > amd Athlon64 +3400 architecture
4 >
5 > I'm attempting to replace 2 200gb sata drives with 2 750 gb drives.
6 >
7 > All drives concerned are WD.
8 >
9 > And the 2 200gb are attached to a:
10 > Adeptec 1205sa PCI sata card (non-raid)
11 >
12 > The two existing drives have been working fine but need more room so
13 > replacing with 2 750gb.
14 >
15 > I thought I'd try replacing one first and see how it went.
16 >
17 > I hit a snag on the first swap. Pulled out the 200gb and inserted a
18 > 750 but it turns out that the new drive, unlike my older 200gb drives
19 > does not have the old 4pin power connector that I expected.
20 >
21 > I see some other connectors in the wiring harness that look like they
22 > go to the larger (non-data) fitting on these new sata drives. Its
23 > about twice as wide as the data plug but has the same little 90 degree
24 > hook on one end.
25 >
26 > The matching plugs on the wiring harness appear to be made for this so
27 > I go ahead and plug it in, and fire up the machine.
28 >
29 > As boot up proceeds it gets by the brief memory check then comes a
30 > screen saying:
31 >
32 > Press F3 to enter configuration utility
33 > Primary channel: WDC WD750-blah-bah <= my new 750gb drive
34 >
35 > So I guess this is coming from the Adeptec 1205sa card and press
36 > F3... but nothing happens, and no further progress appears possible.
37 >
38 > Rebooting and ignoring the `Press F3' screen doesn't allow boot to
39 > proceed either.
40 >
41 > So I appear to be stuck and unable to boot up.
42 >
43 > The boot disk is not on sata and is not involved in the swap.
44 >
45 > Anyone see anthing similar or have a suggestion.
49 Sounds like the bios is seeing the drives in a different order now to
50 before, and so is trying to boot from the wrong disk....
51
52 Can you manually alter the order it tries disks?