From: Statux <statux@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Boot from SATA: Something special to consider ???
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2006 04:50:16
1 Well, I currently have a system with both a PATA drive as well as a SATA
2 drive. SATA uses the whole SCSI subsystem which tends to cause things to
3 not always be in the same place from time to time, devicewise,
4 especially when you have USB mass storage peripherals elsewhere (like my
5 memcard reader). I ended up labelling my partitions/filesystems when I
6 created them so when my system boots, it finds what's where and then
7 things get mounted that way (much cleaner). The only thing I didn't
8 conquer was how to get the bootloader (lilo for me) to boot a label
9 instead of a device so I ended up leaving a boot partition on my PATA
10 disk to allow everything to start nicely and then go from there.
11
12 So, I guess from here, I too will ask my own question stemming from this
13 one: How do I get a bootloader (lilo preferably for me) to boot a device
14 which may not always be in the same place like a SCSI-ish disk?
15
16 -Statux
17