From: meino.cramer@×××.de
To: Gentoo <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] Some keyboard confusions
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2010 03:45:54
1 Hi,
2
3 I am a little confused about the keyboard mapping, and what I made
4 wrong to screw it up...
5
6 What I want is a keyboard with german layout and no dead keys,
7 which was working under 32bit Linux.
8
9 What I did additionally under the 32bit Gentoo was to dump all
10 keysetting with xkeycaps into a ~/.xmodmap-file, remove the
11 entry for CAPS LOCK and reload it with ~/config/openbox/autostart.sh.
12 Works perfectly.
13
14 After setting up the 64bit system, something subtle changes.
15
16 With (as I think...) identical setting I got a mainly working
17 keyboard layout with even the germen umlauts working BUT some
18 (but important) keys NOT working:
19 @ does not work
20 Alt Gr was mapped to Page up
21 .
22 .
23 and so on. Some very interesting variations....
24
25 I tried to redump .xmodmap with xkeycaps but that did not
26 work.
27
28 Finally
29
30 setxkbmap de
31
32 brings back "@" to normal as "ALt Gr".
33
34 But: No "no dead keys" ... all keyes were "alive", so to say... ;)
35
36 I do not only want to fix this, I want to understand, whether I need
37 setxkbmap and whether/how it is possible to get back the former more
38 simpler (and working) way of a keyboard layout.
39
40 Ah! By the way: There were no changes to xorg.conf between the two
41 systems. /etc/conf.d/keymaps has the entry
42 KEYMAP="qwertz/de-latin1-nodeadkeys" as with the 32bit system.
43
44 How can I fix this ?
45
46 Thank you very much for any help in advance!
47 Best regard,
48 mcc