From: Lorenzo Bandieri <lorenzo.bandieri@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] gnome 3 has landed
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2011 11:50:28
1 >> I googled how to disable the gnome-shell and get my gnome-panel back,
2 >> along with the panel applets that I refuse to give up.  (The gnome-
3 >> shell replaces the gnome-panel, so there is nowhere to run the old
4 >> applets.)
5 >>
6 >> If you want to disable gnome-shell you can do it with the System Info
7 >> function in System Settings.  Click the Graphics icon and enable the
8 >> gnome-fallback setting to disable gnome-shell.  Ah, much better :)
11 I don't know if this can be useful for you, however: having a box with
12 debian, I read the debian ML, too. Two weeks ago (if I remember
13 correctly) gnome 3 landed in testing, resulting in many discussions.
14 Among these, I remember that a few people claimed that fallback mode
15 is only a temporary solution, and, sooner or later, it'll be removed.
16 I don't know if it's true or not, but maybe this information can be
17 valuable (or worth verification) for those that are going to run gnome
18 3 in fallback mode... FYI only.
19
20 Cheers,
21
22 Lorenzo
23 --
24 Nothing is interesting if you're not interested.