From: "Stefan G. Weichinger" <lists@×××××.at>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] remote installation, dual boot
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2015 14:49:36
1 I plan to install a fresh gentoo linux in parallel to an existing SLES
2 10 server.
3
4 The server runs with /boot and / on 2 raid1 devices, there is a large
5 RAID6 array building the PV for several logical volumes with data on it.
6
7 The idea is to have the server booted from live media (chroot does not
8 work as the current kernel of SLES is too old [1] ) ... install the new
9 gentoo-root into a new LV, set up dracut for an LVM-based root and place
10 the new kernel and initrd into the existing /boot (with old grub currently).
11
12 Should/could work, right?
13
14 The extra kick (again): the server is ~600 km away from me ;-)
15
16 I should keep up SLES as fallback as long as I got everything up and
17 running in gentoo. The server is doing backups to a tape library and
18 monitoring stuff via nagios ... the new feature to be enabled is KVM
19 virtualization (yes, the CPU is supporting this).
20
21 I have access via some "KVM over IP" so I can access the server console
22 directly in case (choice of boot option, repairing stuff).
23
24 Any particular tips for me?
25
26 The grub installed is grub-0.97-16.27.1 (SLES-release).
27 Is that expected to work with recent kernels/initrds? I assume.
28
29 I won't touch partitions/RAIDs/bootloader for now ... these things might
30 follow later when gentoo is working on the server.
31
32 Thanks, Stefan
33
34 [1] Linux version 2.6.16.60-0.66.1-smp