From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: traffic shaping
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2006 16:38:29
1 Sven Köhler <skoehler <at> upb.de> writes:
4 > i would like to shape the traffic of my DSL-connection, but somehow i
5 > never really understood the machanisms that linux offers. All the
6 > scripts i wrote were simply worthless somehow, because they didn't
7 > really improve anything.
8
9 > Is there any application or script that is easy to configure and does
10 > all the necessary things to shape my DSL traffic?
11
12 First you need really good network management and monitoring. Nagios,
13 big brother, and Jffnms are just a few of the choices (jffnms is my choice)
14 and an ebuild is available. Network monitoring will ensure you do not have
15 any bottlenecks behind your ADSL connection. The first/best thing you
16 can do is to monitor your internal traffic, to figure out where you need
17 to concentrate (hardware and protocols).
18
19 Then you optimize your firewall/bridge/router to what works best for you.
20 Last you look external, to optimize what you are getting and see if what
21 you are doing can be 'outsourced' like DNS services. Having multiple
22 secondary dns servers, strategically located around the internet can
23 be a big help, particually if you are serving up lots of small datagrams
24 to a large variety of web-surfers.
27 You may also be able to pay the carrier/provider some
28 more money and get more bandwidth. Inquire about CIR or Commited
29 Information Rate (guaranteed bandwidth) as some aDSL providers will
30 increase this setting, for a few extra dollars per month. Many
31 aDSL providers have greatly over subscribed
32 their connection from their interexchange points (where they hand off
33 internet traffic to other networks). These problems are difficult to
34 diagnose, and may be transient. Other aDSL providers such as large
35 brain-dead carriers set the CIR to Zero, thus giving everyone great
36 bandwidth(reletively) but then during peak demand their networks clog will
37 collisions. Unfortunately, particulary here in the US, the carriers
38 are quite stupid and have 'pink slipped' most of their computer scientists
39 and electrical engineers, and they have hired more sales,
40 marketing and data-base weenies.... Lots of folks that do not know
41 anything about communications.
42
43 aDSL suffers form another unique hardware problem. The current
44 ( available power) is limited if you are in a wire bundle that is
45 carrying lots of aDSL or digital information. Often, when somebody orders a
46 service, such as aDSL or ISDN, the tech sorts thru the cable pairs at the
47 terminal blocks down the street and finds the cleanest pairs for the
48 new circuit. They migrate the olders services to 'wiring pairs' of lesser
49 quality. Often the problem is due to corrosion on the terminal blocks. The
50 bottom line is these carriers are full of idiots and persons not
51 qualified to run a network. Here in the US, we're down
52 to 3 carriers, and they all SUCK. If these idiots can't maintain their
53 wiring infrastructure, will you trust them to run swithes, routers
54 and DACs? Many of these carriers are plagued by swams of critical services
55 that run on the MicroSuck operating system.....
56
57 I finally tracked down a problem with my cable modem bandwidth to the RG-59
58 cable from my home to the terminal block. The dB reading were horribly low.
59 I had to supply RG-6 (better grade of coax) cable to the technician
60 because the cable company is too cheap, stupid, and has no competition.
61 If you are nice to the technicians some of them will help you
62 'off the record'. If helps if you can develop a business/personal
63 relationship with the tech and the persons that run the equipment.
64 (I digress much... but this hits a nerve with me....) There
65 is absolutely nothing wrong with aDSL, except the idiot
66 managers that runs these global communications companies and their
67 consistent string of bad decisions.
68
69 Monitoring the Internet, is not a bad idea, if you have the time. I can't
70 remember the name of the software, but it is burried somewhere in the
71 NANOG archives.... If what you find is outmoded (based on something like
72 traceroute) then just find a good security hacking site, as those guys
73 stay up on the latest in global network monitoring....
74
75 Outside bandwidth testing is possible via these sites:
76 http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/
77 http://web.tampabay.rr.com/giis/
78 http://www.dslreports.com/stest
79
80 Many others exist; take these results, with caution as to the
81 accuracy and validity.
82
83 This is a deep subject, that is affected by many things. If you build your
84 own router on a 2.6 linux kernel, there are many things to consider and
85 test.
86
87 Beside how you implement your firewall/bride/router rules, there are
88 other things you can adjust, under the Networking:QoS and fair queuing,
89 when you build thekernel for your primary device connected to the aDSL
90 connection. PPPoE can be problematic (i.e. not very efficient) if the
91 aDSL carrier has a poor implementation or overloaded the resources on
92 their side.
93
94 The simple solution, is to 'pony up more cash per month' to your aDSL
95 carrier, or find another bandwidth supplier (if that an option).
96 You might also have a wireless internet operator in your area.
97 Depending on your network you may be able to migrate/split your traffic
98 across multiple connections....
99
100 One of the other respondants mentioned HTB, Hardware Token Buckets,
101 which is really a very cool, but a very young technology in Linux. I'm
102 still looking for accurate bandwidth mesuring/monitoring software,
103 based on HTBs:
104
105 http://luxik.cdi.cz/~devik/qos/htb/manual/theory.htm
106
107 I refer to them as Hardware Token Buckets, because that's where software,
108 meets hardware, in the general area of firmware. The linux scheduler
109 choices,even RTlinux hacks are actually piss-poor, when you compare
110 their performance
111 to that of state machines or an efficient RTOS. The decision of how
112 a schedulers is implemented in a state machine/RTOS/Kernel effects the
113 performance of what you really want to acheive. Intimate knowledge of the
114 underlying hardware (processor) is the key to efficient implementation of
115 schedulers and HTBs. Many of the developers working on providing HTBs in
116 Linux, really need help from real hardware engineers..... But
117 eventually, the implementation of HTBs will be mastered by the
118 linux kernel folks......
119
120 Obviously a stong, jaded opinion, apologies in advance to all I have
121 offended, with these truths.....
125 HTH,
126
127 James