From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Are VirtualBox moduli loaded by themselves?
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2018 09:37:28
1 On Tuesday, March 6, 2018 10:21:43 AM CET gevisz wrote:
2 > 2018-03-05 23:35 GMT+02:00 Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>:
3 > > On Mon, 5 Mar 2018 22:40:00 +0200, gevisz wrote:
4 > >> Can anybody explain me who loads virtualbox-modules without my consent
5 > >> and how I can make them loaded only when I need them (just before I am
6 > >> going to run VirtualBox, which I do not so often)?
7 > >
8 > > The ebuild installs /usr/lib/modules-load.d/virtualbox.conf which causes
9 > > the modules to be loaded by systemd-modules-load.service. Systemd gives
10 > > priority to similarly names files in /etc so creating an
11 > > empty /etc/modules-load.d/virtualbox.conf should prevent them loading,
12 > > although I'm basing that on the man page rather than actual experience.
13 >
14 > Thank you for your reply.
15 >
16 > My system indeed has file /usr/lib/modules-load.d/virtualbox.conf
17 > file and it indeed lists all virtualbox modules.
18 >
19 > And, indeed, creating directory /etc/modules-load.d/ and an empty
20 > /etc/modules-load.d/virtualbox.conf file precludes loading virtualbox
21 > moduli during boot
22 >
23 > The only problem here is that I do not use systemd, only openrc.
24 >
25 > So, https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/VirtualBox is outdated?
26 > At least with respect to its OpenRC part.
27 >
28 > And why at all OpenRC uses the systemd config files?
29 >
30 > Ah, yes, /etc/init.d/modules-load
31 > "loads a list of modules from systemd-compatible locations".
32 > Ok. But the problem is that I cannot find any symlink to this file
33 > from any subdirectory of /etc/runlevels/
34 >
35 > > You could also disable the service if you don't want any
36 > > non-hotplugged modules loaded at boot.
37 >
38 > So, I do not know how to disable this service.
39
40 It is a dependency for "modules", which is (on my system) in the boot
41 runlevel.
44 Joost