From: Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@×××.edu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Building static libraries
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2009 22:03:34
1 At Mon, 14 Dec 2009 10:28:21 -0800 walt <w41ter@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > Renat Golubchyk wrote:
4 >
5 >> As you said, you really are confused. :-) Maybe I wasn't clear enough.
6 >> Anyway, I've written a program, and I need it as a statically linked
7 >> binary. In order to link statically the linker (ld) needs all the used
8 >> libraries in static form, i.e. as a .a and not as a .so file. Since
9 >> portage does not build static libraries by default I need a way to tell
10 >> portage that I really do want to have .a files built.
11 >>
12 >> I do _not_ want to create a Gentoo package, at least not at this stage
13 >> of development.
14 >
15 > Still confused :o(
16 >
17 > Portage is for building Gentoo packages -- if you don't want to build a
18 > Gentoo package then why is portage involved? You can compile and link
19 > your program with any flags you want to, so as to get static binaries.
20
21 Portage is also for (indeed, is primarily used for) fetching and
22 installing Gentoo packages. The OP wants portage to install the
23 statically linked version of libraries for which it currently installs
24 only the dynamically linked versions.
25
26 allan