From: james <garftd@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] old kernel on Gentoo
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2020 19:36:10
1 On 6/17/20 12:52 PM, Raffaele BELARDI wrote:
2 > Hello,
3 >
4 > I might need to build and run an old 3.x kernel on a Desktop PC for some
5 > very specific tests. Would Gentoo be a good solution?
6 >
7 > I see that currently gentoo-sources only includes 4.x and 5.x sources.
8 >
9 > Thanks,
10 >
11 > raffaele
14 I use a 3.18.40 kernel, currently, on one of my AMD systems. It has
15 thousands of source build packages, not only from portage but many others.
16
17 Occasionally, I have to use another AMD system, with a newer kernel. I
18 have many old codes, centric to a version 3 of the kernel, that would be
19 a massive pita to move to a 5 version of the kernel. There are plans, as
20 many are related to hybrid-optimized cluster that are NOT centric to the
21 popular cluster codes.
22
23 Home made 'systolic array processing' is just one legacy collective of
24 old codes, I still use.
27 Many embedded (gentoo) devs still use very old linux kernels for a wide
28 variety of reasons. Products often developed do not change much, except
29 to update the firmware for a strong reason.
30
31 Thousands (millions?) of companies use very old linux codes, including
32 kernels for a plethora or reason. They just do not publish it. The old
33 stuff, if beautiful compared to much of the bloat-ware we have today.
34 From linux kernels to cluster*. I still run codes on 386/486 machines,
35 just for grins and as a seed for codes that are minimized. IoT from the
36 big vendors is so bloated, they cannot even find problems. Old embedded
37 (gentoo) linux codes run so fast, reliable and easy to collect
38 performance data. You go down this path, its a game-changer. An
39 addition, as minimalist coding and small, secure executables are an
40 artform. Most of the semiconductor manufactures, are *ALWAYS* looking
41 for those types of coders. Hello (TI)!
42
43 So, YES old gentoo is very alive amongst minimalist and corporations.
44 ymmv. I've run into many that keep incredicle trees of old, reliable
45 codes. They are often much easier for an EE to use in verification of
46 functions, Micro-Controllers, FPGA, etc etc etc.
49 hth,
50 James