From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] duplicate gentoo system - errors
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2020 19:51:36
1 antlists wrote:
2 > On 23/11/2020 10:37, Michael wrote:
3 >>>> Have you changed the UUIDs on the new partitions?
4 >
5 >>> Never used UUID in fstab. Do I just run: blkid|grep UUID
6 >>> and copy it to fstab.
7 >
8 >> I warned you about UUIDs.  The block device of /dev/sda* could be
9 >> pointing at
10 >> a partition either on the old, or the new disk.  In such cases it is
11 >> a good
12 >> idea to find out what block devices the MoBo identifies and what the
13 >> kernel.
14 >
15 > If you're messing about with disks, partitions, etc, you NEED to have
16 > a basic understanding of UUIDs. Bear in mind that the UID bit (iirc)
17 > stands for *UNIQUE* ID.
18 >
19 > Linux (as has been said) allocates sda, sdb etc in the order it finds
20 > partitions, which can be somewhat random. So there is no guarantee, if
21 > you specify root as sda, something could glitch (or you've stuck an
22 > eSATA drive on, or or or) and suddenly it's sdb and your system can't
23 > find root!
24 >
25 > So what the initial boot system does is it sets up /dev/.../UUID as
26 > symlinks to the appropriate sdx. So when boot says "root = UUID", it
27 > looks at the symlink to find out whether it's sda, sdb, sdc or whatever.
28 >
29 > Now if you use dd to copy the old disk to the new, and leave both
30 > disks connected, anything looking by sda or sdb is going to find it
31 > but you won't know which disk it's found. At BEST the same applies to
32 > anything looking by UUID. But it could be a lot worse - anything that
33 > relies on the UUID being unique (which is what is promised) could do
34 > real damage to the system if they aren't.
35 >
36 > Read up on gdisk - I guess parted, fdisk, etc have the same - but it
37 > has the option to copy an MBR or GPT and generate new UUIDs for all
38 > the partitions. You MUST do that if you're leaving both drives in the
39 > system.
40 >
41 > Cheers,
42 > Wol
47 This is true.  Even I switched to UUID wherever possible or labels.
48 Even external things I use UUID on when possible.  I've been bit by this
49 once before and it was a hair pulling experience that I wouldn't want to
50 repeat or wish on one either.
51
52 If UUID is something you don't want to spend time learning right now,
53 try using labels at least.  Just make sure YOU use unique labels for
54 each one.  Hint.  home-old, home-new works pretty well at times.  At
55 least you know it is home and which is old and which is new.  Notes may
56 help too.  ;-)
57
58 Hope that helps.
59