From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] KDE weirdness after upgrade past Sunday.
Date: Wed, 04 Mar 2020 13:41:41
1 Howdy,
2
3 I did my usual Sunday upgrades the other day. There was a lot of
4 upgrades to plasma and elogind it seems.  Let's add LOo in there as well
5 just for giggles.  Anyway, I have a few oddities going on here.  I'm not
6 quite sure what to make of it but wondering if anyone else has ran into
7 this.
8
9 First weirdness.  When I lock my screen, CTRL + shift + L.  It locks the
10 screen just fine.  The weird part happens when I poke the mouse or hit a
11 key to wake the screen back up.  Instead of a screen asking for my
12 password with the goofy looking user avatar, I get a black screen with
13 the mouse pointer visible.  The background and the little box for my
14 password, nowhere to be found.  After a bit, I type in the password,
15 blindly, and it sits there for a while and then my desktop comes back.
16 It takes a while and could be related to other problems coming up.
17
18 Second weirdness.  When I turn on my external hard drive to do my
19 backups, the device notifier won't let me mount it.  It says I don't
20 have permission to mount.  I ended up creating the directory and
21 mounting it manually to do my backups.  I did a google search but only
22 found the problem back when KDE5 was first coming out, 2018 or so.
23 Given the passage of time, most likely not the same cause.  One link
24 even said the bug had been fixed.
25
26 Third weirdness.  When I start Krusader as root, I use it to edit files
27 during updates etc, the window that pops up and asks for my root
28 password takes a long time to show up.  Sort of like the lock screen
29 except that it does show up, just really slow to get there.  Also, when
30 I type in my password in Konsole to login there, it also takes a long
31 time.  By long time, a minute or so.  Usually, it is almost instant.
32
33 All the timing of the above problems are very similar.  I believe they
34 have the same cause.  When I finished my updates, I logged out, went to
35 boot runlevel, used checkrestart to make sure everything that needed to
36 be restarted was clean, restarted any that weren't and then when back to
37 default runlevel.  In the past this has always worked fine.  Thing is,
38 elogind is in the boot runlevel.  I'm going to have to get used to
39 restarting it manually I guess.  Could elogind be the cause of all
40 this?  Would it be safe to put elogind in the default runlevel?  That
41 would solve the problem of me forgetting to restart it after upgrades.
42 Or would some other service in the boot runlevel start it as a
43 dependency anyway??
44
45 When I get to a point where I can logout and back in, I'll test
46 restarting elogind to see if it helps.  Thing is, I'm not really sure
47 what all elogind does but from what little I know, it sounds like a good
48 place to start.  Thing that confuses me, checkrestart not showing it
49 needed to be restarted.  It's never failed me before.
50
51 Thoughts??
52
53 Dale