From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Good arguments to use Gentoo Linux?
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2007 06:49:51
1 On Tuesday 23 January 2007 12:07, Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Mon, 22 Jan 2007 18:12:07 -0800 (PST), Eric Bohn wrote:
3 > > Using Portage you're putting yourself at the mercy of any Joe Schmoe
4 > > with a proxy connection to a Gentoo server that wants to compromise
5 > > your machine.
6 >
7 > How so? They'd have to get a compromised source tarball on the distfiles
8 > mirrors and a hacked ebuild into the CVS tree. Getting a hacked ebuild
9 > on the servers isn't enough, it would be replaced in no more than fifteen
10 > minutes.
11 >
12 > Why is this easier than getting a compromised RPM onto a Red Hat or SUSE
13 > server?
14
15 If you're *really* paranoid rsync twice (with a different mirror each time)
16 then diff the package you intend to install to see if there's any suspect
17 ebuilds. Ditto for distfiles. If in doubt compare gpg/MD5 sums with
18 sourceforge, or the package developer's website/ftp server. Of course, you
19 could repeat three times over and see if there's a discrepancy with the diff
20 comparison. I mean, how much time have you available? If you can script and
21 you're managing a critical server for the MOD, or NASA, or what not, then you
22 could probably automate the whole process and include random selections of
23 servers.
24
25 If you go back 2-3 years I remember there was a compromise of some Gentoo
26 mirrors and we were all reinstalling afresh. I can't remember what the
27 systemic weakness was, or if/how it was fixed - you may be able to dig
28 something up from the Gmane archives.
29
30 Some times I feel quite relieved that I only manage a couple of boxen in my
31 spare room. :)
32 --
33 Regards,
34 Mick