From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Moving the system from one disk to another
Date: Tue, 06 Apr 2010 03:05:46
1 meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > I have to move my whole system from one disk to another
5 > bigger one.
6 >
7 > I think of doing as follows:
8 > Boot a system via CD/DVD (knoppix for example).
9 > Mount small disk read-only
10 > Mount bigger disk read-write
11 >
12 > cd into mountpoint of the first one
13 > cp -a . ../<mountpoint_of_bigger_disk>
14 >
15 > Seems to me slow but correct? Or?
16 >
17 > (I have to set the bootable flag of the correct partion
18 > additionally...)
19 >
20 > I dont want to have a booting system afterwards, which "runs" for --
21 > say -- three month and suddenly hit a obscure bug due to my
22 > copy-commands, which only did it to 99.87% correct... ;)
23 >
24 > I would like to preserve as much as possible of the file/directoy
25 > times ,,,
26 >
27 > Or does a mystical command with s-tar a better job faster?
28 >
29 > Thank you very much in adance for any help!
30 >
31 > Best regards,
32 > mcc
35 The way you plan to do this is almost exactly what I have done several
36 times in the past. I usually add the -v option so that I can tell about
37 where the copy process is. This is not a fast way according to some. I
38 have never compared this with using rsync, tar, star and all the rest.
39 The biggest thing, make sure whatever you boot will access your drives
40 with DMA and all the other goodies turned on and fully functioning.
41
42 When the copy process is done, install grub as well unless you plan to
43 still use the old drive and do some editing on the fly.
44
45 Dale
46