From: Albert Hopkins <marduk@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] public mail server for ELOG?
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2009 22:23:14
1 On Wed, 2009-10-28 at 09:36 -0700, Grant wrote:
2 > I'd like to receive ELOG messages in my inbox, but I'm hesitant to
3 > leave my mail server's user:passwd in plain text in /etc/make.conf.
4 > Do there exist public mail servers where I can send messages like this
5 > to be delivered? I guess that's called an open replay? If I use my
6 > ISP's mail server, should it still work when on a different ISP?
7 >
8 > - Grant
11 One way you can do this is to use ssmtp. The config file is normally
12 not world-readable and it also has the advantage that it can talk to
13 your SMTP server via SSL/TLS. If you also have a mail service that
14 supports aliases, you can also have it sent to an alias address and have
15 it filtered/delivered based on the alias (for e.g. on my systems portage
16 sends all its emails to portage@marduk.<domainname>.org.
17
18 A second alternative is to have ELOG send to a program and have that
19 program in charge of delivering the message (via SMTP or whatever). You
20 can make this program store the program and have it only
21 readable/executable by root (or whoever portage runs as).
22
23 Hope this helps,
24 -a