From: Dan Farrell <dan@×××××××××.cx>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How can I know which package needs to upgrade without using emerge --sync?
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2007 19:36:56
1 On Fri, 13 Apr 2007 23:05:55 +0000
2 anhnmncb@×××××.com wrote:
3
4 > hello,
5 > I heard of that using emerge --sync frequently may hert my
6 > hard-disk, so I don't have a try --sync quite often(maybe once a
7 > month), but how can I know whether I really need a sync and upgrade
8 > my system if a new kernel or glibc is realised? Is there a simple and
9 > quick method?
10 >
11 > Thank you for any advices.
12 >
13 My home portage server - up 24/7 - syncs daily and is just fine.
14 Furthermore, rsync is just another program, accessing the hard drive in
15 the same old way, and isn't a very effective way of breaking hard
16 drives. Anyway, if you're worried about your hard drive, try setting
17 it up to spin down frequently with hdparm when not in use. That can
18 extend the life expectancy of commodity drives especially -- many
19 consumer-end disk drives are not meant to spin more than 8 hours or so
20 every day.
21 --
22 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list