From: "Alan E. Davis" <lngndvs@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] desperation question: disklabel, unable to write to disk, etc.
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2006 01:27:38
1 I apologize that this question is somewhat off topic, perhaps. I have
2 found this to be a very helpful list, and in desperation I thought to
3 turn here.
4
5 After installing the Sabayon mini 3.2 x86 install on my laptop, the
6 boot failed. Grub gave an error (Error number 15, If I recall
7 correctly) and did nothing. The partition record seems to have been
8 mangled. Each time I attempt another measure (booting rescue CDs, and
9 now Ubuntu, to try to repair the system (hopefully to recover the
10 several partitions that are my gentoo install), matters get worse, and
11 now from Ubuntu, gparted is unable to write to disk to install a
12 disklabel (as you can see, I have given up trying to recover by now,
13 and just want to be able to use the disk drive).
14
15 Sfdisk, parted, gparted, cfdisk all show no partitions, and only
16 gparted is able to really start at all.
17
18 I had noticed some problems trying to install to partition number one,
19 a day earlier, so I installed to another partition.
20
21 I think it's too late to recover the mbr. For now, gparted on ubuntu
22 can not write the "disklabel" to disk.
23
24 Can anyone point me to the right literature on line or other help? It
25 could be a hardware problem, but one suspects the partition table and
26 boot record. Gpart was unable to determine the sector size.
27
28 I am sorry for the off topic post.
29
30 Alan Davis
33 Alan Davis, Kagman High School, Saipan lngndvs@×××××.com 1-670-256-2043
34
35 I consider that the golden rule requires that if I like a program I
36 must share it with other people who like it.
37 --------Richard Stallman
38 --
39 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list