From: Gevisz <gevisz@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Do I really need to install new packages during upgrade?
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2014 14:43:09
1 On Tue, 26 Aug 2014 13:30:58 +0200
2 Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > On 26/08/2014 12:00, Gevisz wrote:
5 > > On Tue, 26 Aug 2014 10:42:01 +0100
6 > > Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
7 > >
8 > >> On Tuesday 26 August 2014 12:21:35 Gevisz wrote:
9 > >>> I have just tried to upgrade my system (which I do almost every
10 > >>> day) and found out that portage wants to install 6 new python
11 > >>> packages that seem to be unnecessary because for example
12 > >>> # equery depends dev-python/pyopenssl
13 > >>> reports that no other package depends on this one.
14 > >>>
15 > >>> The same situation is with all the other python packages.
16 > >>>
17 > >>> # emerge --update --deep --with-bdeps=y --newuse --backtrack=60
18 > >>> --ask world
19 > >>
20 > >> It could be that "--with-bdeps=y" term. I took a long time to learn
21 > >> that lesson, as old-timers may remember.
22 > >>
23 > >> What happens if you change y to n?
24 > >
25 > > In this case, the portage wants to update all the same "unnecessary"
26 > > python packages and only decides not to update the eselect-ruby.
29 > You've approached this in an inefficient way.
30 >
31 > When portage gives an odd list of dependencies to be emerged
32 > (especially if they are new indicated by [ebuild N ]), then
33 > always run emerge with the -t option. This will display the same
34 > output in a tree view showing you what pulls things in. This exactly
35 > answers the question you asked.
36
37 Thank you for the hint. I will try it next time but now
38 # emerge -t pyopenssl
39 just re-emerged the package and I saw no dependencies.
40
41 > Looking at emerge output without the -t option does not show this
42 > information, so you don't know.
43 >
44 > When a package is to be installed new (i.e. not an update) then
45 > "equery depends" is pointless. That form of the command shows the
46 > dependencies for *installed*packages*, so obviously can't show the
47 > deps for something not installed yet.
48
49 Yes, now "equery depends" shows that pyopenssl is needed for ssl-fetch
50 and ndg-httpsclient, ssl-fetch is needed for mirrorselect is needed for
51 nothing. :)
52
53 I do not remember installing mirrorselect, at least I never used it
54 (just now found out what it is used for) but somehow it managed to get
55 into my world file...
56
57 May be I used it during my first Gentoo installation, my birth as Gentoo
58 user. We usually do not remember what happened during our births. :)
59
60 > There are options to equery that make it search the tree itself,
61 > not your vdb, but they are slo-o-o-ow. maan equery for details.
62
63 I am not in a hurry, so will look for this option too. :)
64
65 > --with-bdeps=n omits eselect-ruby as it is a build depend for some
66 > package. A build depend means you need it to build something not to
67 > run it. Portage defaults to n on this to make things a little more
68 > efficient and compile less stuff. In your case eselect-ruby will only
69 > be updated when something else that needs it at build time is
70 > updated. Until then you strictly speaking don't really need it to be
71 > updated.
72
73 Thank you for the explanations.