From: Alan McKinnon <alan@××××××××××××××××.za>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How do you make a gentoo system confirm to a release?
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2006 11:09:43
1 On Tuesday 19 December 2006 12:38, Christian Nygaard wrote:
2 > If you have a Gentoo system with a specific release point for e.g.
3 > 2006.0and you would like to live upgrade it so it confirms to a
4 > 2006.1 profile is that possible?
5
6 You appear to misunderstand what a profile is. It's nothing more than a
7 point from which to start, including a bunch of defaults. Profiles
8 don't specify specific versions of ebuilds to use, although they might
9 define the minimum version number of a package if earlier versions are
10 known to not work with other stuff.
11
12 My desktop machine at home is still on 2005.0 profile and yet, it is a
13 fully up to date x86 system. If I were to make it a 2006.1 profile,
14 it's very unlikely that anything would change at all.
15
16 > To be specific I would like if possible to have a live upgrade to
17 > stage3 but with
18 > using i586 compile instead of i686. I could rm -rf /var/db and then
19 > reemerge world, is there
20 > a better way of doing it? I did get a block when doing an emerge
21 > world and the system
22 > is not a production one so some violence can be used. Though I prefer
23 > to do it in the correcter
24 > way if there is a such?
25
26 First, why do you want to downgrade from i686 to i586? Do you have an
27 original pentium chip and you specified i686 by mistake? There's no
28 other valid reason I can think of for such a downgrade.
29
30 But, if you insist, you can do this:
31
32 1. Change your CHOST in /etc/make.conf
33 2. Change the /etc/make.profile symplink to point to the profile of your
34 choice in /usr/portage/profiles
35 3. emerge -e system ; emerge -e world
36
37 Step 3 might fail at one or more points. You will have to fix those
38 yourself each time it happens. It might be blockers, good old compile
39 errors or something else, so just cope with whatever comes up when it
40 comes up.
41
42 Also, check the current and destined version numbers of problematic
43 packages like glibc, gcc and Xorg - see if the various upgrade howtos
44 on www.gentoo.org apply to your specific case, and if so, follow the
45 howto carefully.
46
47 Finally, you really really don't want to rm -rf /var/db - portage will
48 keep it's own stuff up to date and current, you don't need to fiddle
49 with it.
50
51 alan
54 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list