From: Joost Roeleveld <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] strange error during boot
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2009 13:17:25
1 On Thu, February 12, 2009 2:05 pm, John covici wrote:
2 > on Thursday 02/12/2009 Joost Roeleveld(joost@××××××××.org) wrote
3 > > On Thu, February 12, 2009 10:52 am, John covici wrote:
4 > > > Hi. I just upgraded a gentoo system from about August 2008 to
5 > current
6 > > > -- including updating baselayout and openrt and now when I boot I
7 > get
8 > > > a series of messages quite early in the boot modprobe: fatal /sys is
9 > > > not mounted. Eventually it does boot and all seems to work with the
10 > > > exception of the script for my hsfmodem, but I am curious as to what
11 > > > those message mean and if there is a way to fix them.
12 > > >
13 > > > Any assistance would be appreciated.
14 > >
15 > > Did you include sysfs support to your kernel and do you have a
16 > directory
17 > > '/sys'? (SYSFS)
18 > > This can be found in: File systems / Pseudo filesystems in the kernel
19 > > configuration.
20 > >
21 > > The '/sys' filesystem is as important as '/proc' these days.
22 >
23 > The plot thickens -- by the time I log in after booting, /sys is
24 > mounted with the correct file system. Still very strange.
25
26 Hmm... so, something does solve the problem you are seeing at the
27 beginning later on.
28 Did you update all the configuration files (including the ones in
29 /etc/init.d/.. )?
30 It could be that something there is not set correctly.
31
32 For now, I am assuming the issue is in the boot-sequence/runlevel.
33
34 Can you check which services are in your boot-runlevel?
35 I have:
36 bootmisc, checkfs, checkroot, clock, consolefone, hostname, keymaps,
37 localmount, modules, net.lo rmnologin and urandom.
38 Think these are the default ones.
39
40 Do you use an initrd? If yes, did you update this as well?
43 Joost