From: Michael Sullivan <michael@××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Weird networking problem
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2008 23:15:31
1 On Sun, September 21, 2008 3:53 pm, Sebastian Günther wrote:
2 > * Michael Sullivan (michael@××××××××××××.com) [21.09.08 21:59]:
3 >> I’m trying to set up Gentoo in a Virtualbox on my laptop (running
4 >> Windows
5 >> Vista). I’m using the 2007 liveCD image, although I’ve had this same
6 >> problem with the 2008 liveCD image. The problem is that I can access
7 >> web
8 >> pages with links, like www.gentoo.org, but I can’t ping anything. Also,
9 >> when I tried to download the stage tarball in links, it just showed me a
10 >> console-graphical representation of the data in the tarball and would
11 >> not
12 >> allow me to download the data as a tarball. When I tried to use wget to
13 >> get the data, it gave me the same problem as ping did – that the
14 >> location
15 >> did not exist. What should I do? The IP address of the laptop is
16 >> 192.168.1.102 with the gw at 192.168.1.1, but ifconfig claims the laptop
17 >> is using inet address 10.0.2.15, yet still somehow it can get to
18 >> www.gentoo.org. What should I do?
22 In the VirtualBox user manual, the section that talks about bridging, it
23 says in one part:
24
25 If your host is running Windows XP or newer, you can also use the built-in
26 bridging
27 feature to connect your host interfaces to your physical network card.
28 After creating
29 the desired host interfaces, select your physical network adapter in the
30 Network Connections
31 folder and the desired host interface adapters and select “Bridge
32 connections”
33 from the popup menu.
34
35 My laptop runs Windows Vista, but I don't know what is meant by the phrase
36 "Network Connections folder". Is it a virtualbox thing? Is it a Windows
37 thing? Either way, where is it?
38 > Read the documentation of your virtualbox solution, search for bridging.
41 > HTH
42 > Sebastian
43 >
44 > --
45 > " Religion ist das Opium des Volkes. " Karl Marx
46 >
47 > SEB@STI@N GÜNTHER mailto:samson@××××××××××××××××.de