From: John Jolet <john@×××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] evms
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2006 14:45:40
1 On Apr 17, 2006, at 9:34 AM, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
2
3 > On Monday 17 April 2006 09:14, John Jolet <john@×××××.net> wrote
4 > about '[gentoo-user] evms':
5 >> Trying to set up a new server using evms, but the howto on the gentoo
6 >> site seems very old and incomplete.
7 >> basically, i've got 3 hot-swappable scsi drives, but no raid
8 >> controller.. I want to end up with lvm logical volumes on top of a
9 >> software raid-5. but getting there with evms is presenting me some
10 >> issues. FYI, i've been an aix system adminstrator for over 10 years,
11 >> so i'm very familiar with lvm concepts and applications..just trying
12 >> to translate that process into evms terms.
13 >
14 > In your situation, I'd get rid of evms, it's not needed. Use mdadm to
15 > create a raid5 volume from your 3 drives, then use the command-line
16 > lvm
17 > tools to create a pv, vg, and all the lvs you want.
18
19 well, that's what i've done in the past. seemed to me that evms was
20 the direction things were going, and thought i'd give it a test
21 drive. is it your opinion that evms does not add any value in terms
22 of resizing logical volumes and volume groups, etc?
23 --
24 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list