From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] No 'libs' in world file?
Date: Mon, 02 Mar 2015 14:47:39
1 On Monday 02 March 2015 09:29:15 Tanstaafl wrote:
2 > Googling on a minor issue with perl-cleaner after the 5.20 upgrade, I
3 > ran across this post:
4 >
5 > On 2/14/2015 7:39 AM, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
6 > > Yes, you shouldn't really have any libs in your world file. Any
7 > > required would be pulled in as dependencies.
8 >
9 > Is this in fact true?
10 >
11 > I checked mine, and found:
12 >
13 > # grep -i libs /var/lib/portage/world
14 > app-emulation/emul-linux-x86-baselibs
15 > dev-libs/apr
16 > dev-libs/apr-util
17 > dev-libs/boost
18 > dev-libs/elfutils
19 > dev-libs/glib
20 > dev-libs/gmp
21 > dev-libs/libaio
22 > dev-libs/libdnet
23 > dev-libs/libevent
24 > dev-libs/libffi
25 > dev-libs/libgcrypt
26 > dev-libs/libgpg-error
27 > dev-libs/libksba
28 > dev-libs/libpcre
29 > dev-libs/libyaml
30 > dev-libs/oniguruma
31 > dev-libs/openssl
32 > media-libs/libjpeg-turbo
33 > media-libs/libpng
34 > net-libs/libtirpc
35 > net-libs/serf
36 > sys-libs/cracklib
37 > sys-libs/glibc
38 > sys-libs/libcap
39 > sys-libs/timezone-data
40 >
41 > So, should I delete all of these? Even glib and glibc?
42
43 Yes, by all means. The only lib I have in my world file is sys-libs/gpm.
44 (I'm not even convinced that should be in the sys-libs category.)
45
46 By the way, app-emulation/emul-linux-x86-baselibs will be called in by
47 whatever package needs it, along with all the others in your list, so
48 don't worry about losing multilib capability.
49
50 It could be that all those libs have found their way into world by
51 accident, presumably by you forgetting to include -1 when updating them.
54 Rgds
55 Peter.