From: nunojsilva@ist.utl.pt (Nuno J. Silva)
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: slideshow on USB stick
Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2012 10:34:20
1 On 2012-12-19, Joseph wrote:
2
3 > Is it possible to create slide show (pictures) on USB stick and play on a TV?
4 >
5 > In the past I've used "dvd-slideshow" but that is a bit of work. I had to re-size the pictures add background music etc.
6 > DVD only holds 4GB USB sticks have larger capacity.
7
8 It depends a lot on the TVs you want to play the slideshow in. If it's a
9 specific TV, you can just check what does it support. I've seen some LG
10 TVs which were able to browse photos on USB mass storage devices, and
11 they probably had a slideshow feature, although I've never tried that.
12
13 If you're aiming at broader support, your best chance is really some
14 widely supported set of settings like DVD-Video, because some table DVD
15 players (and TVs too, I guess) will be picky regarding framerate, frame
16 size, codec and other settings.
17
18 For example, technically you could grab some file container and codec,
19 set the framerate to the time you want between photos and just use the
20 photos as the video frames (I think ffmpeg allows you to do this, but
21 some containers have problems with exotic framerates). But I guess many
22 TV and table DVD players out there would just refuse to play that.
23
24 One thing, though, is that what only holds ~4GB is *a specific* format
25 of DVD media, there are DVDs with larger capacities, and I'd not be
26 surprised if the size was not restricted at all by the DVD-Video
27 standard (the file format, filesystem structure and codec
28 specifications, not the physical medium specifications).
31 Nuno Silva (aka njsg)
32 http://njsg.sdf-eu.org/