From: Neil Isaac <isaac.neil@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Video Card of Death! (Yes its on topic.)
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 19:18:13
1 On 8/15/06, Ian Kabeary <omega21@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > Hi there,
4 > My laptop has a Radeon 9100. Toshiba advertised a 9000 so at the time I was
5 > happy. Then I realized that the proprietary ATi drivers dont give this card
6 > 3d acceleration, which it is totally capable of. Anyway, I tried the wiki
7 > instructions on getting this card to work but they are quite cryptic the way
8 > they have written them. It kind of branches off into three different ways of
9 > doing it, but you never know what reading to skip and what to do.
10 >
11 > I got reasonably far. What I did was take the support for the direct
12 > rendering manager out of the kernel, while including the Radeon driver and
13 > other associated things. For the purposes of this support request, I do not
14 > believe they are completely relevant. After doing what I think it was that I
15 > should do, I started X. (I have 7.1.1 by the way). What I end up with is
16 > that it cant find the drivers because the version of the radeon driver
17 > version doesn't match the server version or something? I have no idea what
18 > that means.
19 >
20 > Projects use waaaay different versioning systems. Seriously, I have no clue
21 > what its going on about! :) Is this a cryptic way of saying the driver wants
22 > Xorg < 7.0?
23
24 Xorg 7.0 should be fine. Nvidia and ati have not released drivers that
25 work with 7.1 yet. In my experience, ati drivers are hell to get
26 working (I never did get them working in the end - but I do have
27 friends who have gotten them up and running) so I wish you luck.
30 Neil Isaac
31 isaac.neil@×××××.com
32 --
33 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list