From: "Elaine C. Sharpe" <elaine@×××××××××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Flash Player / Firefox trouble
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2011 21:17:11
1 In linux.gentoo.user, you wrote:
2 > <meino.cramer <at> gmx.de> writes:
6 >> got some problems here with the Flash Player Plugin and Firefox and
7 >> may other parts.
8 >
9 > Well, I was "noodling" around the net about video (VP8) and there
10 > seems to be a war brewing. As you know, Google is has open sourced
11 > VP8 as a replacement for H.264. It seems that the web browser
12 > groups each pay millions of dollars per year to be able to give
13 > away a browser that supports h.264 streaming video.
14 >
15 > h.264 is everywhere, cell phone apps, HDTV, utube, just to
16 > name a few. Now Theora was based on an old codec (vp3) I believe.
17 > Google purchased the company that developed VP8 and purports
18 > it to replace h.264.
21 > Naturally MPLA (the stinking lawyers behind h.246) is upset
22 > because the financial rewards of the the patents behind h.264
23 > are worth an enormous sum of money, over the next few decades.
24 > VP8 is not threating that. If you saw my post on Nokia and Microsoft
25 > going down the darkside together (very strange), what I did not
26 > say is that Balmer is pushing the bussword "EcoSystem" composed
27 > of Xbox-live, Office and Bing.
28 >
29 > Google has that and more. Apple has their own "EcoSystem".
30 >
31 > Many Browsers will be dropping support for h.264 in the near
32 > future, and streaming video, at least in the short run,
33 > is now fair game and going to be not interoperable.
34 >
35 > Is this your problem? Maybe, maybe not. Drop back a version
36 > and see if it fixes your problem.
37 >
38 > Better still, one of the young (smart) kids on this list
39 > prolly (guesses?) knows all about this. If it is not your
40 > problem now, it surely will be *REAL SOON*; as it will
41 > become everybody's problem as the Economic Giants scratch
42 > out and protect their "video EcoSystems". Stock prices
43 > are more of a concern to these titans, than piss_ants
44 > consumuers (that's what they ALL really see in us). So
45 > do not be fool, Google is as big a whore as the rest, imho.
46 > Google has well intentioned folks, but to quote an old addage
47 > "Money talks and Bullshit walks".......
50 > hth,
51 > James
52
53 IME most video on the web can be viewed with mplayer, if you
54 can get a link to the actual file. I often download flv files
55 and use ffmpeg to reencode them as mp4. Works even for videos
56 that the linux flashplayer can't handle.
57
58 I do wish netflix would go with something other than silverlight
59 though, running win7 in vbox works but I shouldn't have to do all
60 that...
63 caveat utilitor