From: Holly Bostick <motub@××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ebuild for Lost Labyrinth
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 23:46:10
1 Markus Döbele schreef:
2 > Okay. Understood!
3 > I would like to have a look in how an ebuild is constructed.
4
5 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=3&chap=6
6
7 This is the English version; if you would prefer to read it in German:
8
9 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/de/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=3&chap=6
10
11 Unfortunately, this section of the developers handbook appears to be
12 only available in English:
13
14 http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/devrel/handbook/handbook.xml?part=2&chap=1
15
16 > I figured out how to create an rpm and now want to know how it looks like for
17 > an ebuild.
18
19 I think you perhaps misunderstand what an ebuild is. It's not an
20 'application', it's a text file (script, actually) that instructs the
21 system how to compile the application in the most common case of
22 installing from source tarballs. The vast majority of programs on a
23 Gentoo system are compiled from source, such compilation being
24 customized for the individual system via the use of USE flags, which the
25 user specifies at the time of compilation. The USE flags, generally
26 speaking, conform to ./configure options that you might be more familar
27 with, and the ebuild is basically a mediator between the human
28 understanding of USE flags such as +gnome or -kde and the compiler's
29 understanding of --enable-gnome-support and --without-kde.
30
31 In the case of the relatively few binary applications that can be
32 installed via Portage, the ebuild mostly contains extraction
33 instructions (since a binary isn't going to be compiled, but just copied
34 to the appropriate place in the filetree so that the user knows where
35 it's likely to be), and sometimes whatever 'einfo' messages the user
36 might want to see/know (special notes about configuring or running the
37 installed program.
38
39 But you've already done all the work needed, insofar as you've got a
40 working binary. So you don't have to 'create' anything else other than a
41 way for Gentoo users to connect to the binary with our automated package
42 manager, Portage-- which is what the whole issue over moving the files
43 to Sourceforge is about.
44
45 Since we know Nick's ebuild works, from the testers, Nick, why don't you
46 just send him a copy?
47
48 It is GPL, isn't it ;) ?
49