From: Daniel Frey <djqfrey@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Nut and networked UPS config
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 2013 16:55:40
1 On 12/13/2013 10:56 AM, Tanstaafl wrote:
2 > Hello all,
3 >
4 > I have a network accessible UPS (Powerware 9150 with the network option
5 > installed), so am looking for tips on how to properly configure a gentoo
6 > VM running on ESXi to initiate a safe shutdown during an extended power
7 > outage via this network card.
8
9 I have an APC UPS and am currently going through this myself. (ESXi 5.1,
10 but I don't believe that matters.)
11
12 Generally the proper way to do this is have the monitoring tools
13 installed on a vMA VM monitoring the host. It doesn't look like
14 Powerware has anything to work directly with vMA VM. APC does have this
15 tool. It appears it tells the host to shut down the VMs running then the
16 host itself. This does require that the Power Off method on VMs are set
17 to 'Guest shutdown' and that vmware-tools is running on all virtual
18 machines, and that the Virtual Machine startup/shutdown sequence is
19 enabled and configured.
20
21 > Looks like nut has full support for this UPS, so hopefully it won't be
22 > too difficult...
23
24 It looks like it has full USB support but experimental snmp support. It
25 may not work at all.
28 > The host is a Dell R515, which does have an iDRAC6 Enterprise card in
29 > it, but I'm not sure if I can utilize the BCM to talk to guest VMs
30 > running under ESXi?
31
32 From what I've read that card is like a remote console, so I don't think
33 it can be used in that manner.
36 > Would appreciate any suggestions...
39 I haven't tried this myself, but if you can get the Gentoo VM to listen
40 to the UPS via snmp you may be able to enable ssh on the host itself and
41 send the host a halt command to shut down (there are security risks
42 leaving ssh running on the host!) and not actually doing anything on the
43 local VM at all, and letting the host shut the system down. This still
44 requires the Power Off methods are set & Virtual Machine
45 startup/shutdown sequence enabled and configured and vmware-tools are
46 installed on all virtual machines. If you don't install vmware-tools on
47 everything it's possible those VMs will not shut down properly and
48 possibly get corrupted.
49
50 You can test it with no VMs running at first (well, except the one
51 monitoring the UPS, make sure you have a backup) to make sure the host
52 shuts down, if that works, test it with a few running. Just make sure
53 you have backups of your virtual machines!
54
55 Dan