From: covici@××××××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Interface eth0 does not exist - e1000e/e1000
Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2011 23:55:46
1 Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > Hi,
4 > I've been helping a friend over the phone who's trying to fix a
5 > networking problem. This machine was built a month ago running
6 > something like 2.6.39-gentoo-r2. Networking worked great. I do not
7 > know what driver it was using, but it worked great.
8 >
9 > Two weeks ago we updated the machine to 3.0-0-gentoo and I think
10 > networking was working fine however I never logged in and never tested
11 > the network interface. The owner believes it was working, at least for
12 > a while, but it isn't now. When we boot now we get the message:
13 >
14 > "Interface eth0 does not exist"
15 >
16 > which typically happens when you don't have the correct driver
17 > installed. The system is loading the e1000e driver but we're not able
18 > to start net.eth0.
19 >
20 > lspci -k says the e1000e driver is in use, and e1000e is in memory.
21 >
22 > We then tested again with the original 2.6.39 kernel and found that
23 > even with that kernel, which I absolutely know worked at one time
24 > because I built the machine over the Internet for him, it no longer
25 > works. That kernel is also loading e1000e.
26 >
27 > We then booted from the Gentoo LiveCD and found that the LiveCD is
28 > also loading e1000e and that with the LiveCD everything is working
29 > perfectly. I can ssh into the box, he can ping Google. Everything is
30 > cool with the e1000e driver using the Live CD, but not using the
31 > kernels we build.
32 >
33 > At this point I set up the chroot install environment, dropped in
34 > to build a new kernel. I did a make clean && make && make
35 > modules_install. Everything built fine. I copied it over to /boot,
36 > rebooted and still have the same problem. e1000e is loaded but says
37 > the the interface doesn't exist.
38 >
39 > The net.eth0 link exists in /etc/init.d, and trying to start
40 > networking using .etc.init.d/net.eth0 yields the same error.
41 >
42 > What am I doing wrong here? How come it used to work, and still
43 > works from the CD, but won't work from his old or new kernels?
44
45 I bet udev renamed the device -- check and see if you have eth
46 anything. Udev does things like that.
49 Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
50 How do
51 you spend it?
52
53 John Covici